15 February 2011

A New Perspective on Valentine's Day


It's been about 10 or 12 years now that I've loathed and despised Valentine's Day. Yep, I'm one of those. I spent a long time (or what seemed like a long time to me) being single, and the day is pretty crappy if you're young and single. Once you get past elementary school with the boxes and the candy and the cards for everyone whether you like them or not, it's just not much fun without a boyfriend to dote on you.

Even after I started dating Norman, and then after we got married, I made it clear that I did not require anything special on February 14th. He could save his (okay, our) money.

And then sometime last week, the fun of elementary school Valentine's Day crept back into my head. Heart-shaped construction paper, doilies, stickers, paint, candy, heart-shaped foods! Fun times. And see, I've got this nearly-two-year-old. And I want her life to be fun. And I want to have traditions, things she can look forward to -- every day, every week, every month, every season, every year. So in a complete about-face, this year, I'm going all out for Valentine's Day. (Well, as all out as you can go and not spend any money.)

We made Valentines.

I cut her lunch meat and cheese into little heart shapes...

...and cut a tiny heart out of her apple.

I made heart waffles with red berry sauce.

And I even came down with Valentine Pox!
[Those are shiny heart stickers...]

And it was fun. I think Lucy had fun. I know she doesn't understand. She might expect heart-shaped crafts tomorrow, too, the way she expected the lighting of the Advent candles to last forever. But she'll catch on.

Happy Valentine's Day, Lucy! You make me a less grouchy person.

2 comments:

Jenny said...

That looks llike fun!

Unknown said...

I'm glad you had fun. We made home made V-Day cards and had a great time doing so. They weren't pretty, but Owen had a blast making them and giving them to his friends at Montessori. Was it you and I who made the heart bunnies? That is a fun craft to do for Valentines when they are a little older and good with scissors.