05 March 2009

"The Birth Kit", or "I Don't Want to Know"

(I bought a Rocky and Bullwinkle VHS tape at a book sale over the weekend. Thus the title.)

So it turns out, when you decide to have a baby at your house (or at the midwives' office/house), there are a few things you're gonna need. Things that hospitals just kinda have (and then charge you an arm and a leg for using). You have to call up a company that sells home birthing supplies and have them ship you a box of stuff. Medical-type stuff. (The contents of which are predetermined by the midwives.) Today that box arrived at my house.



At first, I wasn't going to open it. Then I thought, "Maybe I should open it and check to make sure everything's there." Then, after opening it, I looked at the invoice and thought, "Haha... I probably couldn't identify half these things if I wanted to, and thus cannot check to make sure everything is here."

And honestly, I don't want to know. And the box smelled kinda... doctor-y. So I didn't really dig around in the box.

However, these were sitting right on top:



Awwwwww! Baby hats! :-)

5 comments:

Becky Myers said...

Glad it wasn't too scary!! When I saw your post, I thought, "Oh no!!" but those baby hats are the cutest things ever.

keely said...

agreed- there are certainly some things in there that you just hope and pray they don't have to use. but it is a good idea to make sure everything is there. make norman do it. or maybe that'd be harder on him than you...

Katie said...

Babies come with hats.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uk8akSWz2xc

Jessie said...

I'm trying to decide whether the hats need to stay in the bag and stay clean (however clean they are right now), or if I should take them out and go all crafty on them.

Norman says I should embroider them with the phrase "This End Up".

ABScraft said...

I embroidered the hat I got my baby with from the hospital (my eldest was born in America so came with a hat, my youngest born in the UK did not - that is NHS for you!) with a daisy from my favourite pair of socks my husband had bought for me. Still got the hat, the child and the husband 8 years on!