14 April 2010

Party Checklist, Past and Present

(photo by gwenwasley)


Yesterday we went to the grocery store to buy food for Lucy's 1st birthday party (and for my mom to eat while she's staying with us). Our cart was very full of lots of things we don't usually buy. As I was loading things onto the conveyor belt at the register, I thought about telling the cashier "We're having a party!" because I'm a friendly sort around members of the service industry, and I rarely miss an opportunity to talk about how wonderful my daughter is -- in this case, the wonderfulness of her turning one year old.

But then I thought, "She probably doesn't care." But then after that I thought, "She would think that is weird. It doesn't look like we're having a party, unless it's a new-age hippie juicing party."

Here's what any given average American lower-middle class person would have in their low-key, family-and-a-few-friends birthday party grocery store cart:
*1 box cake mix
*1 can frosting
*4 2-liters of pop
*2-3 bags of potato chips
*1 jar queso
*1 jar french onion dip
*1 party-sized bag of frozen chicken wings
*1 2-lb bag of M&Ms


Here's what was on our list and in our cart:
*1 bag gala apples
*4 oranges
*1 small watermelon
*1 bag baby carrots
*2 heads broccoli
*2 cucumbers
*16 oz sour cream
*1 can coconut milk
*raw honey
*60% cocoa chocolate chips
*coconut four
*white beans
*herbal fruit tea bags
*raw almonds and walnuts

Partay.

But really! Doesn't that sound pleasant? It sounds pleasant to me. And I have absolutely no qualms about feeding any of those things to my almost-1-year-old. I know what everything is. It's just so... clean. Fresh. Spring-like.

I can't wait!

5 comments:

Norman said...

In hindsight, I think that the watermelon might represent the only area where a typical party might overlap with our party.

And yes, this party is going to be good. That is my prediction, and I'm sticking to it.

I need to mow the lawn.

Kelly said...

Yay for Lucy! She's going to LOVE it. Please take pics for us!

JemJam said...

Gross to the first list, all day, everyday, gross.

To the second list, yes, yes, a million times yes!

Happy birthday, Lucy!

Katie said...

I can't believe that Lucy's 1 all ready.
And I do believe that all good parties in the late spring to early fall must have watermelon

meggo said...

The party food was the best evar.