03 December 2010

Christmas Not-a-Tree


We're not doing a Christmas tree this year. You all know that I love Christmas trees, but it just wasn't in the cards this year. The tree we had last year, we had gotten for free, so we didn't feel too bad about giving it away after Christmas. It was going to take up a lot of room in our garage. And we have an extra piece of furniture in our dining room this year, so the space where the tree was last year is gone. And last year we just put the baby gate up to keep Lucy away from it, but that wouldn't really fly this year, and I have some ornaments that I would be so sad if they broke. I don't want to be mad at Lucy for breaking them. So we don't have a tree. My original idea was to buy a small, potted live tree, but we don't really have the space or the money for even that.

But I love Christmas trees.

So I decided to check out how much artificial greenery garlands cost at Hobby Lobby. Well, lo and behold, when I went in to check them out, they were half off. I got two lengths (all of what is on the wall above) for $8 plus tax. I will take it.

It's just like a tree! We put lights on it, we (I) decorated it with our ornaments, and we can set presents under it if we want. Perfect!

[There she is again -- my favorite ornament.]

[It's nice to have something framing the window!]


[Our Lady, etc.]


1 comment:

Kelly said...

It looks great!

We weren't sure what we were going to do this year either. Last year it was just too tempting for the kiddos to take off the ornaments, try to climb the tree, etc. And anger and Christmas trees just shouldn't mix.

With the whole Tulsa thing, we wouldn't have gotten one anyway, but someone gave us an artificial 4 footer that will go on top of a table and we're going to try that!