22 April 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 13

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father.




--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Jan. 8

I spent the morning patching and the afternoon at Aunt Mary's working on a silk handkerchief.
Walter, Francis and I started to skate this evening, but couldn't get any one to go with us, so we came home. I rode Old Annie.

Sun, Jan. 9.

I wanted to go to church to hear Dr. Quayle today, but it rained, so I couldn't. I wrote two letters -- one to Herman and one to Ella.
Mr. Emmett spent the evening with me. He left rather early.

Mon, Jan. 10.

"The rain descended and the floods came," and the children stayed at home today. I had only five pupils. I dismissed at 2:15. I worked on my handkerchief.

Tues, Jan. 11.

I selected some pieces for my spool holder and got the parts ready to work the button holes.

Wed, Jan. 12.

I worked on my handkerchief at noon today.
I have been reading the "Fools Errand" this evening.

Thurs, Jan. 13.

I finished my spool holder this evening. It will be very pretty, I think. The button-holes are nothing to brag of, but I guess they will do.

Fri, Jan. 14.

I have just finished a letter to Herman in answer to one I got last night. I must now get to work on that handkerchief and finish it up to send with the spool holder.

-------------------------------------

Did I miss the part where she said who the handkerchief and spool holder are for?  I wish I knew what this spool holder looked like.  All I can think of is something like this, but that doesn't have button holes.

Looks like this is the Dr. Quayle she mentions.

It occurs to me just now for the first time that my great-grandfather probably read these journals over many times, as he never had the chance to know his mother.  I wonder when he first got hold of them?

1 comment:

Jenny said...

Maybe the spool holder was similar to that one but made out of fabric. And instead of pegs it had little strips of fabric that buttoned to the main backing after threading through the spool?