06 May 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 15

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 

 




--------------------------------------------------

Jan. 22. Sat.

It has snowed almost all day.  I don't know how I am to get my letter to Herman mailed.
I have started to read "Quo Vadis". I like it very well.
I did all my mending today.

Sun, Jan. 23.

It was broad daylight when we got up this morning. After eating breakfast there was not time to get to church as we would have had to go slow through the snow.
I spent the day in reading.
In the afternoon, who should come in but Forest bringing me a letter from Ella -- the first to me from home for three weeks.  Forest had spent Sat. night at Uncle Wallie's. He had a very bad headache.

Mon, Jan. 24.

Forest took me to school this morning in the road wagon. When I got there I found the stovepipe down and the children huddled around the stove waiting for the "teacher". I was very thankful that Forest was with me. He fixed it up amid the wondering stares of the pupils.
One of the little girls informed me after he was gone, that my brother was better looking (prettier as she expressed it) than I was.
I got to ride almost all the way home with Clarence.
I have almost learned a new piece on the guitar.

Tues, Jan. 25.

Francis took me to school this morning. Uncle Wallie got him to help him drive hogs to town, so I got to ride home this evening too. The roads are terrible.

Wed, Jan. 26.

I am to stay at Uncle Wallie's and play croconole [sic] again tonight. Jehu will be there of course. I will have a good time.

Thurs, Jan. 27.

Yes, I did have a good time. It was nearer than 12 when we went to bed and very late when we got up this morning. I have to make haste sure enough to get to school in time. I kept Logan on the run.

Fri, Jan. 28.

I have been greatly blessed so far this week having received a letter for every day.
Today I got one from Herman.
This week ends my five months in school. I have taken a very severe cold but hope I shall soon feel better. I rode home behind Uncle Wallie on Old Moll this evening. She goes to smoothly!

Sat, Jan. 29.

I took my report to Mr. Hultz today but he was not at home, so I couldn't get my money order. I didn't need it immediately, but it would have been more convenient if I could have got it while on an errand to town.
I brought Forest out with me. We played croconole this evening.

--------------------------------

No comments: