13 May 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 16

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 

 




--------------------------------------------------

Sun. Jan. 30.

I have been reading and writing all day. None of us went to church today. The roads are bad and the weather rather bleak for such a long drive.
Forest and Francis spent the morning at Uncle Wallie's.
I am not expecting Mr. Emmett this evening.
I have just written to Mr. Hewitt to inquire about getting a summer school in the northern part of the state. I hope I shall succeed in getting the position.

Mon, Jan. 31.

I am to spend tonight with Laura Hutchinson. I hope to have a pleasant time.

Tues, Feb. 1.

I did have a good time last night. We visited and sang. Ozella plays and sings very well for a beginner.
Francis, Imogene, Mr. Emmett and I went skating this evening on Grant Pond. The ice was very smooth, but not very safe. We had a very pleasant time however. I had an invitation to a party at Mr. Phillips' but did not accept.

Wed, Feb. 2.

A tramp stepped in on me this evening. For a wonder, when the much dreaded circumstance occurred, I was not frightened. I looked at him coolly, and he never dreamed that I had hardly known what to do when I stepped out on the poarch and saw his shadow. I gave him permission to stay in the school house as it was a bitterly cold day.
Francis and I spent this evening at Mr. Hultz's. We had a very pleasant time. It was almost twelve when we left.

Thurs, Feb 3d.

Jehu, Francis, Emmett, Mr. McNickle and I spent the evening at Mr. Eugene's. Those boys teased me all evening. I never saw anyone furnish as much amusement for the crowd as I seem to.
Mr. Emmett was the only one who took my part.

Fri, Feb. 4.

This is the first evening I have spent at home this week. It seems good to rest once more.
I got a letter from Herman yesterday.  I am so anxious to see him. Only three more weeks!

---------------------------------------------

Ozella!  Another name I'd never heard before reading these journals.

When I started reading I wasn't sure if the "tramp" was a dog or a guy! Quite startling, I would think!

"Jessie and Emmett, sittin' in a tree...."  Seriously, those two.

No comments: