27 May 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 18

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 

 




--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Feb. 12.

I finished Forest's mending this morning, and then went to town. I saw Forest and gave him some money. I saw Mr. Marshal too.
When I got home I found Mrs. Scott and Imogene here. They spent the afternoon.
Pattie and Leslie spent the evening with us. Leslie and I beat the whole crowd at croconole.

Sun, Feb. 13.

I wanted to go to church today, but neither of the boys wanted to take me, and Aunt Florence has a lame wrist. I couldn't go by myself very well.
Clarence is going to improve? the day by going to see his girl.
No one spent the evening here this evening. I rather expected Mr. Emmett.

Mon, Feb. 14,

I was mistaken -- Clarence didn't go to see his girl after all.
I rode from Uncle Wallie's on Forest's horse behind Clarence this evening. After much maneuvering I succeeded in mounting. She then went along very nicely except that she scared once.  I did not fall off, not come near it however.

Tues, Feb. 15.

I am to spend the night at Ida Ravenscraft's.
Aunt Mary is coming tomorrow.

Wed, Feb. 16.

I had a very pleasant time last night. We sang a good deal.
Aunt Mary came this evening. She looks very natural. We had a pleasant evening looking at her curios.
I received a letter from Herman -- also a note from Forest.

Thurs, Feb. 17.

This had been a drizzly day. Francis came for me this evening.
I haven't heard from my school yet. I am beginning to get anxious.

---------------------------------------------

"Pattie and Leslie" -- what are the odds they are both boys?  According to http://www.ssa.gov/oact/babynames/ (a fabulous website), in 1880 (the furthest back the records go, and around the time these two would have been born if they are Jessie's age), Leslie was the 167th most popular baby boy name, and the 655th most popular baby girl name.  I'm thinking a search for "Pattie" would be largely useless, as it's probably a nickname.

And hey, is there a glimmer of hope? Is Mr. Emmett starting to wise up?  :-)

Also, I wish I knew what she meant by Aunt Mary "looks very natural."  Any ideas?  Is she sick?  Just old? 

No comments: