20 May 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 17

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 

 




--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Feb. 5.

I spent the morning in patching. This afternoon I went to town and succeeded in seeing Joe Wright (although he was a little the worse for beer) and got my order cashed.
I looked for Forest but did not find him.
The chimney got on fire about noon and we had quite an excitement.
I wrote to Herman today and forgot to mail my letter.
We (Jehu, Francis, Walter and I) went skating this evening. I rode behind Walter on Old Mollie. We had a fine ride in the moonlight. Old Mollie is just fine. The ice wasn't safe, so we went back to Uncle Wallie's and played croconole till almost 12. We then took a turn on his pond but decided that we had better not trust it too far.
I rode home behind Francis on Nita. She goes all right. I don't know whether she ever carried double with a girl on before. I can go behind Francis any time now.

Sun, Feb. 6.

I went to church this morning and saw Forest and Mr. Goodman. Poor Forest has a carbunkle [sic] on the back of his neck.
I have applied for a spring school in Monroe Co. I hope to get it. Mr. Hewitt has been very kind in helping me.
I slept almost all afternoon. If I had been down, I might have had a chance to go to church this evening. Such is life!
I wrote four letters today -- one to Mamma.

Mon, Feb. 7.

This day resembled all others in its regular routine of school work.
I got to ride over home with Uncle Wallie in the buggy.
I had thirty pupils today.

Tues, Feb. 8.

The Ravenscrafts wanted me to stay all night with them but I couldn't very well tonight.
I spent the evening in darning. My eyes gave out however, so I couldn't finish.

Wed, Feb. 9.

I am to stay all night with Minnie Jacobs tonight. It is raining quite hard at intervals. I am afraid it will be a disagreeable night.

Thurs, Feb. 10.

Jasper Jacobs came for us yesterday evening on horse back. Almost all the children rode home. There were seven horses with two children on almost all and four on one.
I had a very pleasant time last night. 
I got a letter from Herman today. I am going to spend the night at Uncle Wallie's. It is rather muddy, and I have nothing to call me home.

Fri, Feb. 11.

I spent last evening in reading.
The day went off very pleasantly until the very last. I had to keep eight or ten boys after school.
I wrote to Herman this evening -- also to Nettie Munsell.
---------------------------------------------

"A little the worse for beer"! Ha!

I find something really beautiful in their horses being immortalized like this.  I don't know why.

Carbuncle: ew.  (Warning: link contains photo of someone's butt carbuncle.)

No comments: