03 June 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 19

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 

 




--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Feb. 26th.

It has been some time since I wrote in my little book, but nothing out of the way has happened.
My school closed Thurs. I found it hard to tell the children good bye.  I couldn't help crying a little.
Archie Jacobs rebelled and, rather than take his punishment, stopped school two days before its close. Had it not been for the little trouble with him and the consequent displeasure of his parent I would have nothing to regret on leaving the school.
On the whole my "first school" has been the source of a great deal of enjoyment, and I think is generally considered a success. I have gained a great deal of experience, and charity.  I have learned to like children whose outer appearance was to say the least very unpromising -- they were not all of that type however, by any means.
I attended a reception given Aunt Mary yesterday. We had a very pleasant time. I saw Forest and Mr. Marshal. We had a little company here last night. Aunt Florence invited the young people in to see me before I went home. I baked a cake for the occasion -- the first since I have been down here. Everyone seemed to enjoy it. We had a very pleasant evening.
Mr. Emmett is coming to take me driving if it doesn't rain tomorrow. He is going to bring me some maple syrup to take home.

Sun, Feb. 27.

I went to church this morning and heard a good sermon.
Before I had finished my dinner, six of my pupils came in to see me and tell me "good bye".
The afternoon wore on, and I began to wonder if Mr. Emmett had forgotten his engagement. Finally I heard a knock and opened the door. Whom did I see but Jehu. He wanted me to go driving. I was so disappointed I didn't know what to do. It was the first time Jehu had ever asked me to go anywhere with him, and there I had an engagement with Mr. Emmett. Just my luck. He stayed a while and after Mr. Emmett came, he left. We had a very pleasant drive. Mr. Emmett gave me a box of candy.

Mon, Feb. 28.

I did my washing today, and some packing.
Miss Buckner and Mrs. Syman called in the afternoon.
Francis and I spent the evening at Uncle Wallie's playing croconole.

Tues. (Feb. 28.) Mar. 1.

The ladies spent the day with us today. We had a very pleasant time. It was windy, disagreeable weather.
Jehu came to spend the evening with me and tell me good bye. He is very jolly.
Mr. Emmett brought my maple syrup today.

Wed, Mar. 2.

At home. How good it seems.
I got here all right with my maple syrup although I came near forgetting it this morning.
Herman came to see me this evening. It all seems so strange to be with him again. He is the same dear boy that he always was.

Thurs, Mar. 3d.

Ella and I took a little walk today and called on Miss Rodert. She is quite a promising young lady.
I got weighed and I pulled the scales to 133 pounds. I was never known to do such a thing before. I have gained 18 lbs. in 6 mo.

Fri, Mar. 4th.

I went to orchestra practice this evening with Ella and Herman. Mrs. Richardson was not very "sociative".
Herman came in when we got home. He thought I didn't act natural when I first got home, but thinks I am growing accustomed to the state of affairs and am dropping my "school-marm" airs. I wasn't conscious that I had acquired any.

-------------------------------------------
The story about Jehu and Mr. Emmett made me laugh.

And my goodness, she was petite!  Though I don't know how tall she was...

No comments: