10 June 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 20

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 

 




--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Mar. 5th.

I just did some mending this evening. I helped about the house all day.

Sun, Mar. 6th.

I went to church this morning. Mr. Peace preached a fine sermon.
We went to church and C.E. this evening too. Mr. Peace preached again. Mr. Baity is taking some much needed rest.
Herman came in after church and we had a pleasant little visit.

Mon, Mar. 7th.

Ella had the headache today so we couldn't wash. The wind blew very hard today.

Tues, Mar. 8th.

We washed today. I was quite tired when we had finished.
This is "lodge night."

Wed, Mar. 9th.

We ironed today, and this evening Herman and I went to prayer meeting.

Thurs, Mar. 10th.

I visited the high school today. I delivered that picture "with appropriate remarks" and gave Miss Wilder a Corean [sic] and Chinese shoe. She seemed very much pleased with them.
I got caught in the rain and after various  trials and tribulations, finally reached my paternal domicile looking rather the worse for rain and mud. Such is life on "Goose Hill."

Fri, Mar. 11.

Herman, Ella and I went to a party at Mr. Forester's and had a very pleasant time. It was twelve o'clock when we got home. I was rather tired.

-------------------------------------------------

I have absolutely no idea what happened during the first part of March 10th. What in heaven's name?

C.E. = "Christian Education" = Sunday School for grown ups.

Also, can we all just take a minute to thank God for washing machines?  Yes.

No comments: