24 June 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 22

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 
 




--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Mar. 19.

Mamma and I washed about half of the washing today. It will ease up next week's wash.

Sun, Mar. 20.

I stayed at home today as Mamma was not feeling very well. My dinner was very good.
I had to lead at C.E. this evening. It was a temperence [sic] and missionary topic. We had a good sermon at its close.
Herman came in and spent the evening with me.

Mon, Mar. 21.

I joined the Ovid class this morning. I like it very much.
Ella and I went to town and got trimming for my silk waist. We got green silk. It will be very pretty I think. The silk yoke will be covered with embroidered white chifonne [sic]. There will be frills of muslin chifonne [sic] too.

Tues, Mar. 22.

I began a quilt today. The weather was murky and cold.

Wed, Mar. 23.

We did a tremendous washing today. We took down all the curtains to wash them. We didn't finish until about 4 P.M.
Herman spent the evening with me.  How I enjoy these evenings with Herman, knowing that there is no objection to him. He is so good and thinks so much of me.

Thurs, Mar. 24.

I attended my class as usual today, and took a note to Mrs. Dr. Parker. I stopped to chat with the old people a while.
We did all the ironing. It took us all day. I am very tired this evening.

Fri, Mar. 25.

We swept the house all over today and put up the curtains. It looks very nice.

----------------------------------
Two thoughts:

1.) I am a lazy bum. I always put off washing my curtains, and all I have to do is pop them in the washing machine and then pop them in the dryer and then put them back up.

2.) Get married already!!! It will cut down on Herman's travel time.

2 comments:

Norman said...

I think it would be funny if you insisted people call you Mrs. Dr. Maynard.

Jessie said...

Just little kids. Instead of "Miss Jessie".