17 June 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 21

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 
 




--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Mar. 12th.

After doing the housework, Ella and I sewed till noon. Then Ella got the headache. I sewed as long as there was anything I could do to the dress, then I practised [sic] till supper time on Mr. Hall's guitar.
We studied in the evening.

Sun, Mar. 13.

We went to S.S. this morning. I didn't see anything of Herman, but thought he would be at church. But he did not come, and Mr. Baity announced the funeral of his father to take place tomorrow. Poor boy! I wish I could see him.
I don't think I will go to C.E. this evening.

Mon, Mar. 14.

I went to town this morning and bought a copy of Ovid. I will enter the class next week.
This afternoon I went to the funeral. I felt so sorry for Herman. He looked so bad.  I wanted to get there in time to speak to him, but the house was crowded when we went in.

Tues, Mar. 15.

I have been thinking of Herman all day and hoping yet doubting that he would come this evening, but he did come. I am so sorry for him and so glad that I can sympathize with him and try to comfort him. I think he felt a little better when he left.

Wed, Mar. 16.

We ironed today. There was a good deal of it to do. I washed my white silk and pressed it.
Mamma and Papa went to K.C. Kas. to see about a farm. We concluded that it would not do.

Thurs, Mar. 17.

We spent the day in sewing. It has been gloomy and rainy.

Fri, Mar. 18.

It just poured down today. I was afraid it would be so bad that Herman could not get over this evening. He came however. I really thought he would come if it was near possible. It poured down again before he left and he must have had a sorry time getting back home.

-----------------------------------------------

Sigh.  "I am so sorry for him and so glad that I can sympathize with him and try to comfort him. I think he felt a little better when he left." = love

No comments: