29 July 2008

Vacation, Part II

So, turns out Day 2 isn't all that interesting. We went to the Celestial Seasonings tea factory, hung around Boulder, and went to the midnight premiere of The Dark Knight. There are no photos of that last one because 1.) I was extremely tired and just didn't care, and 2.) what was there to take photos of, anyway? There were very few people in costume. Maybe I should have taken an action shot of the beach balls people were throwing around.


Mountains on the way from eastern Denver to Boulder



Somehow I managed to leave the two most important high altitude travel necessities at home. I had to buy gum and chapstick at ridiculous hotel gift shop prices.



Dress made out of tea bag wrappers. This is on the way into the Celestial Seasonings factory tour.


Pretty sweet.



The Celestial Seasonings tour is swell. I would suggest making time for it if you ever go to Boulder (or even Denver). You can sample any of the over 100 teas they make for free, you get to see a working production line, and the gift shop is completely awesome (yes, I'm a sucker). However, everyone who goes on the tour must wear the dreaded hairnet. And a lucky few must wear... a beardnet. ("But I don't want t--" "Yes but you must.") You can see why I insisted on a photo of this.



This didn't look like the tastiest thing on the Ben & Jerry's menu (which, by the way, I'd never experienced before, either in one of their shops or from the grocery store), but it was the hippiest, and that's why we were in Boulder, after all. It's called "Visualize Whirled Peace". It had vanilla and caramel ice cream, toffee cookie bits, and -- wait for it -- fudge peace signs. Quite tasty.



It rained briefly that afternoon. At first we didn't mind -- it was light and pleasant and I had my hat. But then it got more insistent. So we ducked into a little alcove, off of which were doors to an upstairs office of some sort and a Tibetan-themed shop. We chose to stand in the alcove watching the rain rather than browse the shop. And I'm okay with that.


Stay tuned for Day 3, which will include various street performers, my new favorite beverage, and the continued adventures of Steve. Get excited, people.

5 comments:

GrandmaToots said...

Hairnet/beardnet photo...this year's Christmas card for sure!

meh. said...

no mustachenet? I am shocked by their lack of cleanliness.
Jolly

meh. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jessie said...

Actually, he was wearing his beardnet up over his mouth and mustache inside the factory. Good times.

Katie said...

Adventures with Steve?! I'm excited about this.