09 October 2009

Lucy's Christmas Stocking

I realized several days ago in a panic that Lucy needed a Christmas stocking. I hadn't thought about this fact for approximately 5 months. Yipe! My brain kicked into high gear and got right to designing, and then cutting, and then sewing, and before I knew it I had this:


This is very different from what I imagined her stocking would look like while I was pregnant with her. I thought I'd go with some sort of cutter quilt type thing, but now that I know Lucy, that just wasn't going to work. I decided on "girlified denim", as I'm calling it, because I think it's kinda timeless, not too young, not too grown up, not too boyish, not too girly.


While I was making it, I was thinking about its possibilities. This is Lucy's Christmas stocking. Hopefully she'll like it, and it will be the only one she will ever need. I thought about my Mom's Christmas stocking, which her grandmother made for her. She's had the same one for 40-some-odd years, and I suppose she'll have it until she dies. Then one of us will have it. I hope my grandchildren have to decide what to do with this stocking after their grandmother joins us in Heaven.


The lining is made from the gown I wore when I gave birth to Lucy. My mom gave it to me for my wedding. I didn't know what had happened to it after the birth, but when I asked the midwives, they said they had it. They don't throw things away, apparently. That's nice. I was afraid it was gone. They washed it, but it was still a little stained. But ya know what? It was childbirth. I kinda saw that coming. I've been saving the gown, trying to think of something I could make out of it for Lucy that she could keep forever. Eureka!

2 comments:

Brigid said...

This post was so sweet. I love the stocking you made and the sentiment behind it.

Katie said...

Fantastic.
My word verification is "endos" which is almost a real word.