25 February 2011

Home Photo Studio (or Lack Thereof)

I take a lot of photos. I make a lot of stuff, and I also sell a lot of stuff that I didn't make, and I have a one year old, so that adds up to lots of photos.

What I really need is a dedicated space in my craft studio (preferably near a large window) to set up a professional-grade lightbox with some professional-grade lamps and lightbulbs, a tripod, and a copy of Photoshop. I have none of these things. So we make do.

Sometimes I take photos inside. I move all the stuff away from my craft room windowsill. It has to be sunny, but at certain times of day it just casts funky shadows and doesn't work. And the things I take photos of here have to be small.

[My windowsill, with a film reel can on it]

[The finished product]

Sometimes I take photos outside. This is mostly for fabric things. It has to be sunny (preferably just before sunset -- "golden hour" -- which never happens because that's when I'm making dinner), and not at all windy. In Oklahoma. Hahahaha.

[The green does make a nice backdrop... if you can catch that 3 weeks every year.]

And sometimes I set up a clothesline in my bedroom to beat the wind. My bedroom gets a lovely amount of sun all day. It works well for larger things like fabric.

[And this is why Picasa has a crop function.]

[Classy!]

I have a lightbox that I built out of an old liquor box, but I'm not at all happy with the lighting I have for it. Apparently I need halogen bulbs? But I never remember to buy them. But that's okay! I really like the look of my windowsill photos.

[Like this one!]

No comments: