11 March 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 10

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1877.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father.







--------------------------------------------------


Sat, Nov. 27 [1897]


This was payday. I gave Forest $10. I got a feather boa to brighten up my cloak.


Sun, Nov. 28


Clarence took me to church this morning. It was a beautiful day. My boa looks nice, but the dye rubs off on my neck.


Mon, Nov 29


Clarence and Aunt Florence went to Via School to an entertainment but Francis and I stayed at home. I hemstitched all evening.


Tues, Nov 30


Francis, Aunt Florence and I spent the evening at Mr. Eugene Scott's. Francis and I ran a race coming back.


Wed (Nov) Dec 1


Francis and I went to see "Alabama". We stopped to see Forest and surprised him. The play was very good in some places -- others were weak in the presentation.


Thurs, Dec 2


We went to see the "Bowery Girl". It was just fine. We took Forest and Mr. H[??]. They intend to come out Sunday.
Mr. Emmett wants me to go skating with him Saturday.


Fri, Dec 3


It has been sleeting and raining and freezing all day. It was very slippery walking this morning. This spoils my skate.
I got a letter from Ella today. The home news doesn't tell half enough.


--------------------------


At first I thought it said "to brighten up my look" instead of "my cloak".  Hahaha...


No comments: