01 July 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 23 (the last)

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1878.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years one year in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father. 

 



--------------------------------------------------

Sat, Mar. 26.

I went to town today and sent Forest some money.
This afternoon we baked. We made three cakes. It rained so that no one could come. I was so tired that I was almost sick.

Sun, Mar. 27.

I didn't go to church this morning, but went this evening. Herman came in after church.

Mon, Mar. 28.

We washed today. I went to school in the morning.

Tues, Mar. 29.

We finished the ironing this afternoon.
Herman spent the evening with me.

Wed, Mar. 30.

Ella went to prayer meeting with Mr. Rodert. I stayed at home and studied.

Thurs, Mar. 31.

We are sewing. Ella is making a dress skirt for herself.

Fri, Apr. 1.

I went down town and interviewed Mr. Allen about my getting a school in Westport.
Papa got me a percal [sic] dress.

Sat, Apr. 2.

We sewed all day. I washed my hair in the afternoon, and took cold.
I didn't get to go to the business meeting this evening.
Emma went to the door to meet Herman, when I was out in the kitchen. I didn't get to say half a dozen words to him. It was so late when they got home, that he didn't come in.

Sun, Apr. 3.

I didn't go to church today. My cold is worse. I [sic] has rained all day. I wrote to Laura H. Herman is coming tonight. I'm afraid it will be to [sic] muddy and damp for me to go out with my cold.

--------------------------------------

Haha! What an ending! Like a TV show that got cancelled in the middle of the season.

What happens after this?  Well, in June of 1899 (over a year from the end of the journal!), Herman and Jessie got married at Jessie's family's home.  A little over a year after that, on July 26, 1900, Jessie died giving birth to her twins Conrad and Cornelia.  (Conrad was named after Herman's father; Cornelia after Jessie's mother.)  Conrad and Cornelia's stories are told in part here.

I borrowed Cornelia's travel journals from another family member and scanned them.  I will share some of them here shortly.

No comments: