26 November 2010

Thanksgiving 2010

This post is going to be super boring because I forgot to take photos -- AGAIN. I just really get in the zone when I'm working on something (like setting up for a home show, or cooking fancy dinner for in-laws), and I completely space on the photos. And of course while I'm busy not taking photos, Husband is busy watching Toddler, so he doesn't remember either.

OK, Thanksgiving. There were seven of us: Me, Husband, Toddler, Husband's Parents, Husband's Brother, and Husband's Sister. Husband's Mother is ill, so I didn't expect them to be able to stay very long, but they stayed for 4 whole hours! Hooray!

Actually this Thanksgiving looked a lot like last Thanksgiving. So go look at these photos, and replace all the college students with in-laws and the 7-month-old with a 19-month-old. Ta da!

Menu:

  • Turkey (Duh. Nothing fancy -- just salt, pepper, and no overcooking.)
  • Gravy (Turkey Drippings - Fat + Cornstarch)
  • Wild Rice Stuffing (I made this recipe up. I should write it down and/or type it up. It was really tasty.)
  • Green Bean Casserole (in a skillet -- tiny oven)
  • Sweet Potato Casserole (in a crock pot -- tiny oven)
  • Whole Wheat Rolls
  • Cranberry Apple Compote (which is a real word that I did not make up)
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Whipped Cream (cream whipped with beaters on the spot, which seemed to confound my guests)
  • Coffee
  • White Wine
We used the fancy china again, only this time I broke one of my crystal glasses while I was washing the dishes. Sigh. I kind of always expect that I'll break something when I use the fancy dishes. It's the price of beauty.

Besides the broken glass, I was quite satisfied with the meal and the day in general. I don't take very much pleasure in cooking, and I'm not much of a hostess, but ending the day knowing that I had eaten so many good things and nothing I wished I hadn't is worth quite a bit to me. No regrets, only tastiness. A little preview of Heaven. I'm thankful for those.

No comments: