12 November 2010

What We Eat


A friend recently asked me what kinds of things our family eats for dinner. It was really easy for me to put a list together for her, because I keep a list of dinners to make menu planning easier. [Every Sunday evening I put together a menu and grocery list for the week. We grocery shop on Tuesday mornings.] The friend thanked me for the list and said I should write a blog post about it. So... ta da!

  • chili mac
  • spaghetti (with meat sauce)
  • chili
  • Irish stir fry
  • chicken noodle soup
  • mexican chicken soup (super easy: chicken, beans, corn, rotel, onions, garlic, broth, and cheese and sour cream on top)
  • chicken/broccoli/rice (I make a creamy sauce for this one.)
  • chicken, peppers, and coconut rice
  • "Olive Garden in My House" chicken pasta
  • Moroccan tagine
  • fajitas (chicken or pork)
  • stir fry (chicken, pork, or beef)
  • crockpot stew
  • baked salmon
  • pot roast (beef or pork in the crockpot with carrot, onion, and potato)
  • pancakes/waffles (This recipe takes some prep, but they are tastier, more filling, and better for you than ones you just mix together on a whim.) (Oh, and you'll probably want to put peanut butter on those.)
  • omelets
  • frittata (In our house, that means potato chunks and veggies held together with beaten eggs.)
  • baked potatoes (with the works: cheese, sour cream, cooked broccoli, bacon/ham, green onion/chives, butter)
  • chicken alfredo pizza (Use this sauce and add chicken to the pizza.)
  • Philly cheesesteak casserole (Can also be a skillet. I find most casseroles can be a skillet, because I am lazy. But it really works in the summer when you don't want to turn the oven on.)

For most of these dinners, we usually just have the main dish, because it usually has meat, veggies, and a carb. With salmon or burgers, we have broccoli or green beans or something (sauteed, never steamed), and oven fries (sweet potato fries are awesome!) or cornbread or breadsticks. (Yes, that's a link to a soft pretzel recipe. Trust me.)

The things on that list that don't have recipes.... well, I have the recipe in my head. So if you want to know what some of them are, you should e-mail me. (phile_1013 [at] hotmail [dot] com)


The last thing I'd like to note is that this lady runs my current favorite blog. She has tons of recipes for really tasty things that are easy, healthy, kid-friendly, easily made in big batches, and completely from scratch. (That last part is super-important to me; that's why it's in italics.) She should win an award.

No comments: