02 January 2012

Jessie Lyman's Journals, Part 7

I previously introduced you to my great-great grandmother, Jessie Lyman Eckert.  You can read the first post here, and subsequent post are filed under

Jessie Lyman was born January 2, 1877.  She graduated from Westport High School (Westport, MO, now part of Kansas City) in 1897 at the head of her class.  From what I have read of her diaries so far, it appears she went on to teach school for a couple years in Columbia, MO.  She married Herman Eckert in June of 1899.  On July 26, 1900, she died giving birth to twins Conrad and Cornelia at the age of 22.  Conrad is my mother's mother's father.




--------------------------------------------------


Mon. Oct Nov. 1 [1897]


This has been a gloomy, windy day. Aunt Florence took Forest to school. I rode over behind Walter on Mollie.


Tues, Nov 2d


Aunt Florence and I went to town after school. I wanted to have the dressmaker lengthen my dress, but she was too busy, so I bought the materials to do it myself. I got two widths of braid, and some canvas.
I saw Forest and and he went to the drug store with me. He is just as nice as he can be. When he finishes college, he will be a man.


Wed, Nov 3d


I forgot to say I went to the writing school last night. We had a great time. It was a beautiful evening. Francis says I acted like I was about twelve years old. Well, I don't often so far forget myself and my station in life.
I'd like to know why people call me "the little school marm".
This evening I called on Miss Electra Withers. It was another beautiful moonlight evening. After we left Mr. Hultz's we drove down to Vawter school house about four miles. We got there just as Clarence was giving his speech in the debate. We surprised him till he almost forgot his speech.
Francis and I had quite a confidential talk on the way back.


Thurs, Nov. 4th


I cut out the facing for my dress this evening.


Friday, Nov. 5th


I sewed the facing on my dress.
Last night I got a lovely letter from Ella, and one from Herman. Ella has replaced her confidence in me. Herman is such a dear considerate boy. Maybe he will come to see me Christmas. I do hope so. I am building my hopes so that I will be badly disappointed if he doesn't come. It will be so nice to walk, and skate with him again.


Sat. Nov. 6th


I finished my dress today. It looks very pretty. Somehow, I have been thinking of Herman all day. I wrote to him this evening. I have almost had the blues today -- thinking of the happy days that are past, and how little they were appreciated. How little I realized the worth of those gentle loving words and the tender stroke on my hair. I was like a spoiled child -- I received everything as my due, and gave little in return. Well, Herman loves me just as dearly still, and I can make up for the past by the future. I wrote to him this evening.


Sunday, Nov. 7


It rained again today so I couldn't go to church.
I wrote two letters -- to Ella and Emma Donaldson.
Francis and I wanted to go to Midway, but it rained and we could not go.


-----------------------------------------


Oh my, how sad!  (In case you didn't know, I have not read ahead and am only reading as I transcribe.)  Bless her heart.  Her story gets happier, but then, as we know, ends in tragedy.

[When this post was first published, I was having trouble reading the word "Vawter".  In trying to decipher the word "Strawn" in the next post, I figured it out.  There is now a Vawter School Road in Columbia, Mo.]





No comments: